Friday, February 11, 2011

Went to the hospital

Saturday afternoon I noticed a large pimple on the outside of my elbow. I ask Noriko to pop it and use rubbing alcohol on it.

Tuesday Morning: Went to Whitbird medical center and was diagnosed with Staph infection. I was given an oral antibiotic to take and a culture was taken to make sure it wasn't MRSA.

*My previous blog entry covers the what happened up until my hospital admittance.

Wednesday afternoon: I went to see "the Next Three Days" since I was feeling too tired to be productive. By the time I finished the movie, I was getting light headed and dizzy. I stopped at my Grandparents' house on my way home.
Either the pain from the swelling in my arm caused endorphins to kick in or the fever was making me disoriented. My Grandparents ended up taking me to the emergency room.
She called my brother, John, who's a CNA there. He stayed after his shift and sat with me for several hours during my evaluation. He arranged for me to be admitted to his department so he'd know the nurses and doctors who were taking care of me. Then he came in on both of his days off and spent a couple of hours visiting with me.
Thursday morning, I took an MRI to see if I had an abscess; which would require surgery to drain. While in the machine, I experienced a lot of pain. I waited as long as I possibly could so as not to be a nuisance. I finally spoke up when I couldn't stand the pain any longer.
After they wheeled me back to my room in a wheel chair, I got nauseated from the pain and went to the bathroom while the nurse went to get me pain medication. I just started to black out and lost motor function of my entire body. My knees kept giving out and I stumbled and fell with my infected arm against the wall a few times before melting to the floor with my cheek pressed against the cold tile. I had literally passed out from the pain for the first time in my life.
When the nurse returned and found me on the floor, she called for help. It took three female nurses to get me up, change my sweat drenched hospital gown for a dry one and returned me to bed.
I had recovered after a few minutes, but the feeling of helplessness stayed with me. It reminded me of when I was fighting MMA and got knocked out. I could still hear and some of my brain function continued to work, but my sight and motor function just shut off completely. When I came out of unconsciousness, I could hear my cornermen talking to me from above, I could think enough to know that I had been knocked out, but I couldn't see or move.
That's not a good experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment